Thursday, April 23, 2009

Samoas Bars

These are a homemade version of Samoas, the Girl Scout Cookies. I was reading a blog about these cookies, and it led me to this recipe. I LOVE Samoas (ok..and Thin Mints and Tagalongs...) and I don't always get the chance to order Girl Scout cookies anymore. So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. A little time consuming to make, but so delish!

The guys in Grant's squadron were wondering why I hadn't sent in anymore treats, so I thought I'd make these for them. I sent probably 20 cookies and Grant said they were devoured. :) Oh and when he was telling me they were wanting cookies, he said a guy said "It's just not the same around here without Mrs. Saum's cookies." ---When I heard him say that, it was weird. Hearing someone else refer to me as Mrs. Saum made me feel old! Mrs. Saum is how you would refer to Wanda (Grant's mom), not me! Haha, I just thought it was strange to hear another person say it like that. I digress.

The original blog post is quite lengthy and detailed, and probably explains how to make them much better than I could (plus, I don't really feel like typing it all out right now...). I recommend checking it out if you're interested in making your own! I'll share my pictures and captions though. :)

I made them over 3 days...the first night I made the shortbread cookie base. Mine was pretty dry/stiff after mixing, and I don't think it was supposed to. Guess they turned out okay though. I also used 2 9x9 pans because I didn't have a 9x13 metal pan.
The next night I made the caramel coconut layer. I toasted the coconut first, let it cool, melted the caramels, and then added the coconut and spread it over the shortbread.

Then on the 3rd day, I used a pizza cutter to cut them into squares (on my cutting board so I didn't scratch the pans!). I melted some chocolate and dipped each bar into it and then let it dry on wax paper. I drizzled them with more chocolate to finish them off. I used some leftover chocolate that I had for dipping and then had to use chocolate chips because I ran out of the other. I wouldn't really recommend the chips, unless you thin it with shortening or oil. Mine turned thick and clumpy quickly, thus the reason for some big globs of chocolate drizzle.

Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment