One year ago today, the tragic T-38 accident that killed an Instructor Pilot and a Student happened here at Columbus AFB. I wasn't here, but I still remember what happened that day. I was in grad school and Grant called that evening on my way home from school. I could tell something was wrong by the sound of his voice, but he said he was fine and everything was okay. I let it go until I read about the accident the next day. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped.
When I asked Grant more about it, he couldn't tell me much (or maybe he didn't want to). Apparently, he had been flying when the accident happened. He was flying T-38s at that time and was a class ahead of the student and IP whom were killed. I don't remember the details of what he was doing right then, but I believe he was toward the end of his flight and preparing to land. He actually saw the jet crash and explode. He says it was horrible to see and almost made him sick.
As I learned more about the people involved, I found out that the IP was married and had 2 young children at home. The student was also married and his wife was pregnant due to deliver their baby boy in July. I can't even begin to imagine how their lives changed on that day. Three children will know their fathers only through pictures and stories. I am not sure how the student's wife is doing now, but I do know a little about the IP's wife. She keeps a blog and reading it is such an inspiration...she is a Christian and is finding her way through this with God. Some of her entries from soon after the crash brought me to tears. I just can't imagine myself in either woman's shoes. My thoughts and prayers are with both of their families today.
The accident definitely made Grant's job "real." He doesn't sit at a desk in an office somewhere. No, he sits in the cockpit of a jet to serve and protect our country. Not many people put their life on the line for their country. I think we need to remember that and thank those individuals any time we can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment