My surgery went well yesterday. I'll give you the run-down of how it went. After I changed into my gown, the nurse came in to start my IV. I've never had an IV in my hand before, so that was interesting. I was definitely glad to get it out after the surgery...the saline made my hand tingly and cold. Now I have a little bruise that actually hurts a little when I touch it. Anyway, the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about what they were going to do and informed me that I would be going to sleep, but not a general anesthesia. I forget what they called it, but it just put me to sleep for about an hour while they did the prep and surgery.
So when it was time to go, I was taken to the holding room where the nurses finished up some paperwork and gave me a muscle relaxing medicine through my IV. Then they took me into the OR and gave me a nice warm blanket...it was freezing in there! I moved over to the OR table from my bed and they gave me the anesthesia and said it might hurt a little bit. I remember asking her "You said this might hurt a bit right?" (it kind of felt like little pins in my hand and arm) and then I looked up at the lights as they turned them on, thinking "Dang, those are bright..." and that's all I remember. I must have passed out shortly after.
When I woke up, I was in the recovery room, and I asked the nurse if I had the surgery yet. She said yes, I was done, and I looked at my shoulder with the bandage on it. It was just a strange feeling knowing that I slept through something like that. I then proceeded to "drunk" talk, you could say, to the nurse about her degree, thinking and saying something about getting my nursing degree since I couldn't find a speech therapy job. I was totally serious in that moment and trying not to sound stupid as I talked to her. I'm sure they hear all kinds of crazy stuff from people just waking up! So I was taken back to my outpatient room, and I think I was still sleeping because I don't remember the ride back. I wasn't in much pain, just a little soreness, but nothing major. The nurse brought me some Sprite (it was regular and had so much sugar...yum! I haven't had regular Sprite in a long time!) and after a bit, I got dressed, we did some paperwork, and we were out of there by 9:30!
I pretty much slept most of the day when I got home, after I ate of course! It was a little uncomfortable sleeping last night because I had to lay on my back/left side...I usually sleep on my right. Grant said I snored a lot...haha, sorry! I can't change the dressing for 48-72 hours, so that means no full shower. I tried washing my body with a washcloth a bit today in the bath, but my hair really needs washed. Maybe I can get Grant to help me. :) I don't have any pain today really, only if I move my arm to far or too much. I have more range of motion today, but it hurts if I try to raise my arm much higher than my elbow. I can go out to the side, but not in front or straight up. The bandage is starting to itch though, so it will be nice to take that off in a couple days.
I'll finish with a couple of pictures from before I went to bed last night. You can see where they made the incision under the bandage.




No comments:
Post a Comment