Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

First, sorry about the unattractive picture...I'm still working on my food photographing skills. I found this recipe while browsing food blogs (I tend to do that a lot...) and knew I wanted to try it. These babies were pretty time consuming, so I don't think they're going to be a frequently made item in my kitchen. It's much easier to pick up a package at the store and pop them in the oven. Very tasty though!! I split them into two pans, and the rolls in the picture above were way too close together, so they needed to be baked a little longer than the recommended time. Plus my pans are not the best, and everything tends to burn on the bottoms. Oh well, they were still yummy.

Cinnamon Rolls
(Source: Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen from Delicious Meliscious and originally from The Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients:
2 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c sugar, divided
1 pkg active dry yeast
4 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
cinnamon to taste

Directions:
Mix milk, vegetable oil, and 1/2 c of sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point.) Remove from heat and let it cool 45 minutes to 1 hour.

When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in yeast. Let this sit for a minute and then add 4 cups of flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let sit for at least an hour.

Add 1/2 c flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together. (I made the rolls up to this point the night before and stuck the dough in a covered bowl in the fridge until morning.)

Sprinkle surface generously with flour and roll the dough into a thin rectangular shape. Brush 1/2 cup melted butter on top, then sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the butter, and finish with cinnamon.

Starting with the wide end, roll the dough tightly. With a sharp knife, cut into 1 inch slices. Place in a greased pan and let rest 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.


Cream Cheese Frosting
(Source: Adapted from Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen, originally from Delicious Meliscious)
(This is half the original recipe and it makes plenty!)

Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese
2 c powdered sugar
1/4 c butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Frost warm rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment