Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wilton Cake Decorating - Course 1, Class 4

Last night was our final class of Course 1. We learned how to make the rest of the Wilton Rose (which our instructor told us is called so because it has a certain number of petals). We also learned how to make ribbons, leaves, and sweet peas (so not as hard as they look!)
Here is my cake!
I think it turned out pretty good! I had a hard time doing roses at first, but my instructor recommended trying it with thinner icing. As soon as I did, they looked so much better! I was pretty happy that it was the icing and not my technique! Obviously, I could still use more practice, but for my first time ever putting roses on a cake, I'm happy.
The cake is red velvet from a box (hey...it's easy!), and I had a much harder time icing it this time without getting specks of cake in my icing, hence the little red dots you can see if you look closely. I'm not sure if it's because it was red velvet and my other cakes were white, or if I just didn't let them cool long enough in the pan or what. My instructor said she will usually do a "crumb coat" first and a second coat later if that happens.

I had a lot of fun in this class, plus I learned some pretty neat techniques! Course 2 is being offered in September, and I've already signed up! We learn more advanced decorating techniques, but I believe we only make one "Grand Finale" cake. It will be on Wednesday evenings, so look forward to those posts starting next week!

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Looks very nice.
    Eat a piece for me.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete