Our third class was on the 17th, and I really enjoyed this one! Again, I had a hard time smoothing my icing on the cake, so I'm going to have to work on that for next time.
We learned how to make the shell (which I also learned in 4-H, but forgot how to do), figure piping (for faces and 3 dimensional shapes and such), and drop star and swirl flowers. The flowers looked a lot more difficult than they were. It was tough to do them on the side of the cake though.
We also learned the second part of the rose, which was the rose center. It's a darn pain to practice them too, because you have to change tips just for one measly (sp?) little step! Anyway, our instructor also showed us part of the final step, the 3 inside petals. Mine didn't look too bad, but my petals definitely weren't spread out enough. Practice, practice, practice I guess!

I made the flower cake (as opposed to the clown cake...it was just weird...although I'll admit that the people who did it in class made it look cute), and I was really proud of this one! My border came out really nice, and the flowers weren't too bad. I added the dots to spruce it up. Cute, eh? ;)

Close-up of the shell border and the swirl drop flowers.

I made a white cake and decided to layer it with strawberry preserves....it was delicious!! :)
Next week is our final class, where we can do a rose cake or sweet peas. I'm planning on the rose cake, unless they would come out looking terrible! I'll be sure to post pictures of how it turns out!
No comments:
Post a Comment