My latest adventure has been taking cake decorating classes! I've known that these courses tend to be offered at craft stores, so I checked at our Micheal's here in town and was happy to hear that they were offering Course 1 starting in August! I've had experience with cake decorating in the past (I took it as a 4-H project back in the day!), but don't remember a lot of the specific techniques. I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn more skills, and who knows, maybe someday I can have my own business!! (a little ambitious I know, but hey, a girl can hope...) :)
Anyway, so my first day of class was August 3. We learned the basics of decorating, like how to make the icing, how to fill icing bags, and how to torte (cut in half/make level) and ice a cake. It was pretty simple stuff, and most of it I already knew, but it was a nice refresher. We also learned which supplies we'll need for the class.
I found some 50% off coupons to use for supplies, so I made a list of what I wanted to get and what I needed in addition to the supplies I already had at home. I ended up buying this 101 piece kit and using a 50% off coupon. Even though it was expensive, I justified it by using the coupon and by adding up the cost of everything I would need that is already in the kit. It was going to be more expensive to buy everything separately, plus I got things in the kit that I wouldn't have normally bought! It's awesome!! :)

(sorry...I don't have a picture of my kit, so this will have to do!)
The next class we are to bring in an 8" iced cake, and we'll be decorating it in class!



No comments:
Post a Comment