Monday, January 18, 2010

Wizzo Has Surgery

A few weeks ago, Grant noticed a small lump on the back of Wizzo's front left leg. I called the vet the next day and made an appointment for the doctor to look at it. The doctor suspected it is something called a histiocytoma, which is just a benign cyst-like growth in younger dogs resulting from something going on with the immune system cells. He suggested having it removed, though, because of the chance it could get bigger and be bothersome to Wizzo. Plus, if it did get bigger and we needed to remove it, there might be less skin to work with (cover the "hole") since it was on his leg (as opposed to say his back or belly).

So we made the appointment for today, and I dropped him off this morning. The vet called me after Wizzo was awake and told me that he did well and that he was nearly 100% sure it was the histiocytoma and not cancerous. He didn't think we needed to send it off to the lab to be tested, so I went with his recommendation and we didn't send it out. I picked him up this afternoon and he was still groggy...it was cute though! :) He was whining a bit, which was actually kind of funny because I don't think he was in pain...just being a big baby!


He gets his stitches out on Friday the 29th, so hopefully he can leave it alone until then! He has tried licking at it a bit, and I didn't get an e-collar, so I'm going to trust him! ;) And now that I look into/research about histiocytomas, it sounds like they typically go away on their own in 2-3 months, so I wish I would have researched it more before making the decision for surgery. Maybe he wouldn't have had to have the surgery! Oh well, I guess. Such is the "Wonderful World of Wizzo."

No comments:

Post a Comment