Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Wonderland

Yes, even in the South, it snows. Well, more like ices. The weather forecasters have called for a winter storm all week, and their predictions were actually true. Late Friday evening it started snowing and then turned to freezing rain/sleet overnight that lasted all day Saturday. It was a light snow as I went to bed last night, but not much accumulated. It's supposed to be cold again today, but hopefully it will warm up this week and the ice will melt. Here are some pictures from Saturday early afternoon.

Roads on base were not too bad since the plows went through yesterday. Roads in town were not as great, although some had been plowed a little bit. Let's just say that this town basically shuts down with just a bit of snow/ice. I mean, the roads were slippery, but not that bad. There were 5 cars at the gym when we went yesterday around noon...normally there would be 15-20 or so. We stopped at Walmart around 4:00 and almost turned around and left because the lines were so long. We all know Walmart is not known for having multiple registers/lanes open; however, yesterday there were 4 I think. We waited in line for probably a half hour. We couldn't pick up any fast food for dinner because nothing was open! Apparently people can't even make it to work when there is an inch of snow/ice, and I'd be willing to bet those people who work there don't come from that far away... Just a tad bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Oh and while we were standing in line at Walmart, I overheard a girl behind us talking on her phone. She was saying how she hates driving in the snow because "it's so slippery" and her "car slides" and "it doesn't stop when she brakes." WOW. She also went on to say that her car was covered with snow and ice, and she was upset because "it's probably going to chip her paint" when it comes off. Riiiight. At that point, I wanted to turn around and say, "no, it won't." I held myself back and just laughed at her ignorance.

It's definitely weird to look out the windows and see white! I'm ready for it to melt...bring on Spring! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment