First, let me show you the cookie cakes I made for the lunch on Friday. Their class name was 09-CBE (left cookie) and the right cookie has the 333 Fighter Squadron Lancers patch.

Moving on....we started Red Carpet Day on Friday early in the morning with a light breakfast in the squadron bar. This bell is the gift that 09-CBE class gave to the squadron. It has their rank and names inscribed on the plaque, as well as the squadron name and class name on the bell. I believe the significance of the bell has to do with officially starting events such as roll calls, and I think there is even a "rule" that goes along with it saying that if you ring the bell, you buy drinks. Don't quote me though, and Grant is not here to confirm. :)
After the Welcome Briefing, which included a slide show and funny video that the class made, we were welcomed by the Squadron Commander and introduced to what events we would be attending that day. The first was to go out to the End of Runway area and watch the jets get some final prep before takeoff.
Our next event was the Simulators. We were able to spend a short amount of time trying to fly in the pilot's seat, and I even sat in the WSO (weapons system officer) seat to guide bombs to the target! The sims are in the "vault", so no pictures allowed.
We then headed over to one of the hangars to see the static display of the jet. Always fun to get up close to the Strike Eagle!
By now, it was finally time for lunch! We headed back to the Squadron bar where they presented a few awards to the instructors and had a crawfish boil...yuck! The smell alone is enough to make me gag. I couldn't stand to watch people even eat them. They also had a few burgers and hot dogs for those of us who don't go gaga for the Louisiana tradition. :)
After lunch, we had the chance to use the night vision goggles! This was probably my favorite part of the day. They turned off the lights and let us look at different screens/pictures simulating things that would happen at night, as well as with different amounts of moonlight in the sky. The moonlight helps you see more naturally, but the NVGs were amazing! You wouldn't think that they make such a big difference, but they really do. Plus, you could secretly look around the dark room and see what everyone was doing. :)
We ended our day with a quick tour of the Squadron to see Life Support (where they put on and check all their gear), and then headed back to our house to relax. We made a bonfire, ordered pizza, and enjoyed the company. On Saturday, I was getting antsy to give Grant his graduation gifts, but when he opened the first one, this is how it came out....
We ended our day with a quick tour of the Squadron to see Life Support (where they put on and check all their gear), and then headed back to our house to relax. We made a bonfire, ordered pizza, and enjoyed the company. On Saturday, I was getting antsy to give Grant his graduation gifts, but when he opened the first one, this is how it came out....
His second gift was a wooden airplane prop that can be hung as a decoration somewhere in the house. I don't have a good picture of this, so you'll have to wait until after we move and hang it in our new place.
Eventually, it was time to start getting ready for the graduation dinner/ceremony. It was semi-formal and the guys wore Mess Dress, so we got to get all dressed up and pretty! :) It was held at the Walnut Creek Country Club about 15 minutes from Goldsboro.



love the pics! the frame shop on base can replace glass really cheap for you if you want it done fast....believe me, that has happened to us so many times! hope all is well! :)
ReplyDeleteGood pictures. I like your dress and hair Jen.
ReplyDeleteLove, MOM
Jennifer, good idea! I never thought about the frame shop...duh! I might have to check into that. Thanks! :)
ReplyDelete