Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wilton Cake Decorating - Course 2, Class 4

Tonight we finally got to use all of our flowers to decorate our cake. We started by learning the basketweave and rope border, which you can see on my cake in the pictures below. The cake was a strawberry cake and iced in traditional buttercream. It was also oval shaped. I'm not sure why Wilton wants you to learn an oval cake, but the pans were included in our Course 2 student kit.

The basketweave was not too difficult once I got the pattern in my head. We practiced on our practice board before actually doing it on the cake. We use a template to mark out spaces around the top of our cake, so that the basketweave "stripes" were evenly spaced. I then added the rope border and my flowers! "Ta-Da!"

IMG_3634.jpg picture by jem1602

IMG_3633.jpg picture by jem1602

Close-up of my flowers!

IMG_3632.jpg picture by jem1602

IMG_3629.jpg picture by jem1602

F-15s even did a flyover. ;)

I've also decided to sign up for the next Course, Fondant and Tiered Cakes. I've never worked with fondant, so it should be fun and interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment